Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hip Hop Continues to Dominate the Billboard Top 10

Yes yes ya'll ! It's just another week of hip hop domination on the Billboard hot 100 charts, as yet again the top 10 singles are primarily hip hop (approximately 80%). Here's the list..

Billboard Top 10 (As of June 7th/09)

1. "Boom Boom Pow" - Black Eyed Peas *

2. "Poker Face" - Lady GaGa (yes STILL !!!)

3. "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" - Pitbull * (club banger of the year so far)

4. "Birthday Sex" - Jeremih *

5. "Blame It" - Jamie Foxx feat. T Pain *

6. "Halo" - Beyonce *

7. "Knock You Down" - Keri Hilson feat. Ne-Yo and Kanye West * (watch out for this joint, it's hot right now, bump it).

8. "Day N Nite" - Kid Kudi * (Crooker's Remix still tearing up the club scene)

9. "Fire Burning" - Sean Kingston *

10. "Love Game" - Lady GaGa

Again, the *'s mark the 8 hip hop tracks on the top 10. That means the top 10 is currently divided up by 80% hip hop/r&b music and the remaining 20% is being held down by Lady GaGa with two songs in position's 2 and 10. She's having a good year for sure.

Not surprisingly the Black Eyed Pea's continue to see success from their hit single which is currently number one. Pitbull moves up two slots to 3rd as his club hit continues to climb the top 10. Jeremih's "Birthday Sex" rose from 9th to 4th but the big airplay gainer and hot joint out right now is "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson featuring Ne-Yo and Kanye West. This track is being requested like crazy on radio stations all across the continent, believe me.

Interestingly enough, sales of "Black Out 2" (Redman and Method man and "Back On My B.S." (Busta Rhymes) have come to an almost screeching halt. Although I'm positive these albums are being bootlegged by millions of music fans worldwide, so the digital music downloads must be through the roof.

As far as albums on the Billboard charts go, "Black Out 2" has dropped from 7th to 18th while "Back On My B.S." plummets from the 5th to 22nd spot. "Relapse" by rap artist Eminem continues to be the current highest selling album over all.

Still, it amuses me to see that hip hop is being broadcasted in more then a healthy dose of current mainstream music. What do you think ? Too much, or not enough quality hip hop to represent the genre ? Do you see any patterns in the success of these recording artists and their songs ?

Leave your piece.


  1. i agree with some of what you said, hip-hop dominating the charts. the only problem i have with this is that it's not QUALITY hip-hop dominating the cahrts. some of these songs to me personally are garbage, and there's thousands of artists out there that make much better music. so while it is hip-hop and we should be happy that it's very mainstream, it's dissapointing to see all these garbage songs make it to the top 10.

    - Marko

  2. Marko,

    I agree with what you are saying. Personally every song on that top 10 list I could do without hearing ever again, except maybe the "Knock You Down" track which I think is a pretty hot joint right now (until it gets over played).

    You're right, some of these songs are garbage, some are just for the club scene, and some are just straight up pop songs over hip hop music.

    Good, quality hip hop/rap music is everywhere, it's online, in our own back yards but WE NEED MORE QUALITY HIP HOP ON THE BILLBOARD !!!

  3. The question is: how do WE get real shit on the radio again and into the top ten?!

  4. the word "garbage" is an excellent descriptor. i am extremely jealous of the people who are able to sit at a computer and create "top 10" songs at the click of a mouse. the songs don't even need to be amazing for us to love them, because they simply play them over and over and over and over and over (you get the point) until they are ingrained in our memories. mainstream radio is a joke - yet it and all the above mentioned artists [lady gaga, although hardly an artist, included] make more money than decades of my perspiration and hard labor ever will. do something about it rystav!

  5. Atlanta has spawned some of the world’s most favored artists. From Usher, T.I, young Jeezy and introducing Myko Slim, The hot new R&B recording artist. His new single “Give it to 2 U” is receiving major airplay in Chicago, New York and Atlanta. With such a unique style It’s no secret that Myko is on his way to becoming the new voice of R&B. To check out his single “Give it 2 U” ft Young Joc, go to or


Rap music business - Marketing and Promoting the Future of Hip Hop