Monday, February 1, 2010

My 2010 Grammy Awards Rant - Urban Music Winners



*Note: Once again, this is my completely biased personal opinion in the form of a rant on the 2010 Grammy Award winners.*

Some big news this year, Beyonce sets a female Grammy record of 6 awards. Taylor Swift, receives a huge bump from the Kanye West stunt which has helped launched this young beautifully talented star into a whole new plateau, as she took home 4 Grammies.

The following is a list of the rest of the winners (relevant to this blog).

Best New Artist went to the Zac Brown Band, although in my completely biased opinion, I thought Keri Hilson definitely deserved some recognition in regard to this award. However, if you're not first your last, so the Zac Brown Band prevails, good for them.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance - Beyonce's "Halo".

This song took over the air waves of terrestrial radio, period. One of the biggest songs of the year on any station in any format. Now thats cross over success that only few artists ever get to enjoy. Beyonce deserves this award.

Best Pop Vocal Album - Black Eyed Pea's "The E.N.D."

Will.I.Am is an incredible producer, and this album is a hot piece of music. I don;t care who you are, you have no reason to hate on this album. "The Energy Never Dies" is what good-vibe funky energetic music should sound like, shit that you can rock to!

Best Dance Recording - Lady GaGa's "Poker Face"
I don't have much to say about this joint, but it was hot in the clubs. Lord knows I heard it enough times.

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance - Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)"

No surprise here.

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance - Maxwell's "Pretty Wings" (Good find Walks!)

This track was actually really good and was recommended to me last year by a friend.

Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group - Jamie Fox and T Pain's "Blame It"

I got to be honest, wasn't really feeling this song much but it was still alright.

Best R&B Song - Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)"

It did make a lot of noise! Placements in movies, over-played on the radio and music video channels. Big ups to Beyonce for making a song that millions of women could enjoy and relate to.

Best R&B Album - Maxwell's "Blacksummer's Night"

I haven't heard this album, but that "Pretty Wings" single was decent.

Best Contemporary R&B Album - Beyonce's "I Am... Sasha Fierce"

This album had major hits. Out of all the nominee's, there is no doubt that this album was going to receive the award.

Best Rap Solo Performance - Jay-Z's "Death of Auto-tune (D.O.A.)"

Although Em's Beautiful was a great song, and Best I Ever Had by Drake sky rocketed to the top of the charts and remained a popular song for the new comer's first official rap music hit. Same with Kid Cudi's "Day N 'Nite" which is was also a club banging smash hit which was made popular through a great dance Remix by Crookers.

Best Rap Performance By A Duo or Group - "Crack A Bottle" by Eminem, Dr.Dre and 50 Cent, produced by Dr.Dre

Too Many Rappers was a good under-dog pick, and made for an interesting track. But there is no doubt that Crack A Bottle is definitely the right choice for this award right here.

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration - "Run This Town" - Jay-Z feat. Rihanna and Kanye West

Ok, this was a big hit, but I would have rather seen this award go to "Dead and Gone" by T.I. featuring Justin Timberlake. "Dead and Gone" beasted the charts for months on end.

Best Rap Song - "Run This Town" - Jay-Z featuring Rihanna and Kanye West

Again, I love this track, beat is hard and Rihanna does an amazing vocal performance throughout, however I do not think I would dub it as the best rap song.

Best Rap Album - Eminem's "Relapse"

In this case, the best album won. Relapse was filled with memorable tracks and amazing lyrics, the resurgence of a rap superstar. However, I am pretty pissed that Black Out 2 by Red and Meth did not even receive a nomination. Complete bullshit in my opinion, but hey that's politics.

Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) was the Song of the Year, by none other then Beyonce.

Best Comedy Album - "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All" by Stephen Colbert

I threw this in for kicks, I'm a Colbert fan and am happy to see he received a Grammy for his work. (P.S. Stephen, if you're reading this, I am in need of the 'Colbert-bump', get at me!)

Also, I'm going to post this video of the "Forever" and "Drop The World" performances by Eminem, Drake and Lil Wayne because I haven't seen it yet and heard good things. These Grammy Award music performances can make and break the career of any artist. You don't f*ck around with the Grammy's!

And that my friends, is my 2010 Grammy award winner rant. Agree, disagree or just want to argue ? Feel free to leave your opinions in comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rap music business - Marketing and Promoting the Future of Hip Hop